fbpx Skip to main content

Australian Immigration Planning Levels 2022 – 2023: Quotas have been increased for Permanent Independent, State Nominated and Regional Visas for the next financial year. We are back at pre-pandemic levels!

What is the Federal Budget and the Planning Levels?

Australia’s Financial year starts on the 1st of July and ends on the 30th of June. Every May, the Government announces the Federal Budget, which is the financial planning for the following year.

This is when the migration planning is announced too, including the number of permanent visas that will be allocated to be granted in that financial year (the planning levels!).

This happens because each person who receives a permanent visa in Australia can access public services, such as Medicare, the public education system, and other government benefits (which, naturally, have costs involved, and are all calculated in the Federal Budget).

Australian Immigration Planning Levels 2022 – 2023

During the pandemic, migration numbers in Australia were significantly reduced, especially with the closure of the borders for almost 2 years. For 2022 and 2023, the Government announced that the total number of permanent visas will return to pre-pandemic levels!

There will be some redistribution among all the visa subclasses. Skilled stream visas will account for 70% of the program (with 109,900 places), while family visas will correspond to the remaining 30% (with 47,000 places).

The table below shows how many places were allocated for each visa subclass while comparing it to the numbers for the previous (current) financial year:

Australian Immigration Planning Levels 2022 - 2023

If you are applying for one of those visas with increased quotas for the next financial year, it could mean that your application may be processed quicker.

However, it is important to highlight that in some streams, such as the subclass 189, although there was an increase in numbers from 2021, the planning levels are not yet the same as it used to be in the recent past. It will still be hard for people to get an invitation to apply for the Subclass 189 visa as there are many people in the queue and not enough places to invite everyone.

This is why it is so important to have a plan B designed by an experienced professional when it comes to immigration pathways. We will look at your real chances of being invited and suggest other ways to achieve your permanent residence. Reach out to us so we can check your case.

Other than that, the Government has already announced that visa numbers for 2024 and 2025 will increase even more. The government understands and acknowledges that migrants are a crucial part of the economic recovery from the pandemic. The future is looking bright for Skilled Migration in Australia!

Full analysis of what to expect from Australian immigration for 2022 and 2023

Please check our YouTube channel for a complete analysis delivered by our Director and Co-Founder, Erica Carneiro, one of the most experienced Registered Migration Agents in Australia. Watch in this video.